Choosing a company name
- Is it fewer than 160 characters including spaces and name endings?
- Does it contain any restricted, offensive or sensitive words?
- Is the name already registered at Companies House?
- Does it contain words that when translated to another language may cause offence?
- Does it only use permitted characters?
- Is it sufficiently different to other company names and trademarks?
- Has the name previously been used by a company that is in liquidation?
- Is your preferred domain name available, even if just for company email addresses?
- Does an internet search reveal anything you don’t want to be associated with?
- Do you need to trademark the name?
Directors and shareholders
- Have you decided who will be the company directors?
- Are all company directors aware of their duties and role within the company?
- Have you identified all the shareholders and discussed the structure of the company with them?
- Have you determined how many shares each shareholder will be issued?
- Have you decided on your registered office address?
- Do you have a dedicated business phone number (either mobile or landline)?
- Have you identified a specific email address for your business?
- Have you checked if you need to register for data protection?
- Have you researched business bank account fees, interest rates and access to online services?
- Have you decided on what accounts you need, for example: savings accounts, credit cards, PayPal accounts, etc.?
- Have you determined what level of professional indemnity insurance you require to meet the obligations of your contracts?
- Do you need employers’ liability insurance?
- Do you need public liability insurance?
- Have you determined what lifestyle insurance you need, for example life insurance or income protection?