What are trading and registered office addresses?

There are two addresses you will use day to day:

Registered office address – this is the address at which your company is registered at Companies House. It is where official correspondence from Companies House and HMRC will be sent. This address is also visible on the public record and can be viewed on Companies House website.

Trading address – this where your business is conducted from. It maybe your home address especially if you mainly work on your clients sites. The trading address is where your clients, bank, agents, suppliers etc send you correspondence.

The registered office address does not need to be the same as your trading address.



Why can’t I login to inniAccounts?

If you can’t remember your password you can click the forgotten password link on the login page. Within a few minutes you will receive an email that will allow you to recover your password. If you don’t receive the email, please check your spam or junk folder.

For security if there has been more than 3 unsuccessful attempts to login using your username, your account will automatically lock. If your account is locked please contact your account manager.


What if I have forgot my password?

If you’ve forgotten your password simply press the forgotten password link on the login screen. We’ll email a new password to the email address we have on record for you. If it doesn’t arrive within a few minutes, please check your spam folder.

How do I change my password?

Once you’ve logged in, click your company name in the top right of the screen then select My profile & password. From here you can change your password.

How long do I need to keep records for?

The records for an accounting period will normally have to be retained for six years from the end of that period, so that if the accounting period ends on 31 December 2002 the records must be kept until 31 December 2008.

inniAccounts allows you to store timesheets, expense records, invoices, tax returns and payslips securely in one place, whilst allowing you to access them as and when you need to. As an additional advantage, you’ll need to retain far fewer paper items like receipts and company documents.

How do I register for Online Services?

As agents we will register online with HMRC for all the services you require. This means that you don’t need to register yourself for online services unless you plan to submit your own Self Assessment Tax Returns.

Access to HMRC online services is gained by registering online.

You need to register as an individual for online filing of Self Assessment, and as a company for VAT returns, CT600 & P35 annual tax returns.

You will be sent a unique reference number and password that will allow you to login to the Government Gateway. You must then apply for the individual online filing services described above and will be sent another access code relating to each one that you apply for. You then have to activate the respective services.  Access to the services once registered can be gained using either the Government Gateway or directly on the HMRC Website.

Access to Companies House confirmation statement online ‘Web Filing’ service, is gained by registering via their website where you will be sent a unique reference number relating to your company. You will then be able to login and modify your company, shareholder and PSC details and file the confirmation statement. Payment of £13 (rather than £40 for the paper alternative) is made during the process using a credit / debit card.

What Online Services are available for my company?

HMRC are investing in online filing functionality for individuals and companies using the ‘Government Gateway’. Companies House also offer online filing of a company’s confirmation statement. The available online filing services include:

  • Self Assessment Annual Return
  • Annual Tax Return for Companies Employees (P35)
  • Annual Company Corporation Tax Return (CT600)
  • VAT Returns (VAT100)
  • Companies House Confirmation Statement

How many shares should my new Company issue?

Unless you have unusual circumstances, the number of shares issued for your company would be 100, and the value of the shares are normally £1 each. There’s not always an actual payment associated with this. The share allocation is split amongst the shareholders and this split will determine the proportion of profit each will receive if dividends are agreed and paid.

The type of shares are normally described as ‘Ordinary shares’. There needs to be at least one shareholder, and one Director appointment to your new company.

What is a SIC code?

Companies House requires your business activities to be categorised using a SIC code. This stands for Standard Industrial Classification of economic activities.

A full list can be viewed by clicking here. Tip: press Ctrl+F to search for keywords that best describe your business activities.

List of common SIC codes

SIC codeBusiness activities
61100Wired telecommunication
61200Wireless telecommunication
61900Other telecommunication
62011Ready made interactive leisure and entertainment software development
62012Business and domestic software development
62020Information technology consultancy
62030Computer facilities management
62090Other information technology service
69201Accounting and auditing
70229Management consultancy other than financial management
71121Engineering design for industrial process and production
71122Engineering related scientific and technical consulting
71129Other engineering activities
71200Technical testing and analysis
74100Specialised design activities
74201Portrait photography
74901Environmental consulting
78300Human resources provision and management of human resource functions
82990Other business support service activities
84110General public administration services
84220Defence activities

What is a Companies House confirmation statement?

As of 30th June 2016 the confirmation statement replaces the annual return. Each year every company must submit a confirmation statement, also known as a CS01, to check and confirm the information held by Companies House for the company’s officers, registered office, shareholders and share capital is accurate. A director or company secretary is normally responsible for its submission however, if your package includes our Company Secretarial Service we will file this statement on your behalf.

It’s important that a confirmation statement is filed on time – late or missing submissions will mean Companies House will start a process to strike off the company. This can be expensive to fix and will result in the company assets being automatically transferred to The Crown.

It is a criminal offence to not file a confirmation statement within 14 days of the review period, failure to submit a confirmation statement may lead to prosecution.

How secure is inniAccounts?

Our website and accounting software is kept secure using bank-grade 1024 bit secure encryption, and your data is backed up off-site, every hour. This means not only is all your private information totally secure, it will be preserved if your laptop or hard drive is lost or stolen.

Can I export my records if I need to?

We consider your company data to belong only to you, therefore we have created a comprehensive Report Centre where you can customise and download all your data in various formats, whenever you need it. You can also export invoices, payslips, dividend voucher and minutes in pdf for your records.