Descriptive names, practical names, experiential names… they all have a purpose when naming a company. But what catches people’s attention the most is quirky names!
Here’s a quick checklist of the best practices used by businesses when choosing a company name, followed by our top five categories of the best catchy names we’ve found around the world!
The most common sources for company names include:
- Product ingredients: Coca-Cola
- Founder’s name: Ford, Mercedes-Benz
- Mix of two names: Debian, Adidas
- Mix of two words: Intel, Microsoft, Vodaphone, Verizon, Compaq
- Acronyms: SUN
- Invented words: Skype
- Emotional & evocative: Apple, Virgin
- Latin and other origins: Acer, Lego, Konica, Reebok
- Greek and Roman gods: Asus, Nike, Oracle, Pandora
- Characters: Starbucks, Yahoo
- Cities, rivers, peaks: Cisco, Nokia, Adobe, Amazon, Fuji
- Locations: Carrefour
Need further inspiration and more handy tips? Find our what name you need – Distinctive, Practical, Unique or Quirky?
Just for fun: top five sources of quirky company names
If you’re a music and movie fan, why not turn your new start-up’s name into a memorable phrase?
- Florist Gump
- Floral & Hardy
- The Cod Father
- Thai Tanic
- Pita Pan
- Indiana Bones Temple of Groom
- Lawn and Order
- The Merchant of Tennis
- Specs in the City
- Spruce Springsteen
- Amy’s Winehouse
- Chipsy King
- Jason Donervan
- Dolce & Banana
Use rhyme in your name to make it sound extra fun:
- KAbra KeBabRa
- Wok and Roll
Feeling hungry? Discover even more quirky finds from our Pinterest collection.
Well known phrases
- Meat you there
- Life’s a Cabernet
- Wooden It be lovely
- Ink about it
- It’s unbeweaveable
Join our Facebook quiz and tell us the quirkiest company names you’ve come across. Or check out our Quirky Name board with a compilation of the most eccentric entries to inspire your new company start-up.
- Build a digital brand: The Power of a name: how to choose a name for your new business
- Evoke emotions: Choosing a company name: How to build a successful emotional connection with your clients
- Be creative: Distinctive, Practical, Unique or Quirky? What does your new company’s name say to your clients?
Finally, we’ve wrapped it all for you in This Video. Discover how the world’s most famous brands named their businesses and find the perfect name for yours!
Start up with confidence. Download your free book
"I really wish I had access to this book when I first started - I highly recommend this for any early business owner"
Start your company with confidence by reading our best-selling book "Preparing to Set Up Your Limited Company" which is now available for free. Simply enter your details below and we’ll email you your copy, instantly.